The Ministry was established under the name of the Ministry of Information and Culture under the UAE’s Interim Constitution in Article 58. Federal Decree No. 1 of 1972 was issued on the functions of ministries and the powers of ministers. In 2006, Decree No. (1) for the year 2006 was issued amending some provisions of Federal Law No. (1) for the year 1972. Accordingly, the Ministry of Information and Culture was abolished and the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community Development was created.
Laws related to the work of the Ministry
– Decree-Law No. (1) for the year 2006 amending some provisions of the Federal Law No. (1) for the year 1972 on the powers of ministries and the powers of ministers.
– Federal Law No. (1) of 1972 on the functions of ministries and the powers of ministers, and the laws amending it.- Cabinet Resolution No. (27) of 2011 on the organizational structure of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Community Development. Council of Ministers Resolution No. (7) of 2016 on assigning some ministries some competencies. The Decision of the Council of Ministers No. 26 of 2016 Concerning the Organizational Structure of the Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development
Competencies of the Ministry
- Representing the State in cultural and art conferences at home and abroad, and organizing and supervising art festivals.
- Establishing cultural seasons to benefit from the outcome of human thought, and open the horizons of knowledge for citizens
- Providing library services to the public through public libraries throughout the country
- To nurture and develop all forms of the arts in a way that preserves the artistic heritage of the State, encourages and achieves a climate conducive to the growth of creative queens, demonstrates new talents and encourages authorship and translation in various literary aspects.
- Excavation and maintenance of the country’s historical heritage
- To revive and document Arab history and national heritage as a historical reference and source for the advancement of the arts
- Preserving the national identity and promoting belonging and permanent investment of youth energies, nurturing the creators and embracing the talented, and directing them towards comprehensive community development to achieve these goals
- Creating a unit to prepare young generations for leadership, leadership and communication through applied programs.
- Effecting the level of societal cultural awareness, upgrading practices and creativity and enriching civilizational communication to serve the cause of community development by upgrading behaviors, and devoting the civilizational approach as a practical approach among the different communities.
- Coordinating with the various concerned parties to find ways to integrate the expatriate groups into the fabric of the society of the state, may make them active and positive elements in maintaining the constants and interests of this society
- Coordinating activities between the Federal Government, local governments and media institutions in protecting the cultural heritage of the State and with regard to cultural issues, and sponsoring initiatives aimed at establishing channels of communication with civil society institutions and the private sector to serve these issues.
- Disseminating the values of cultural investment so that culture becomes a productive sector of the national economy
- Any competencies entrusted to the Ministry in accordance with laws, regulations and decisions issued by the federal authorities